Thursday, September 30, 2010

Napoli.....and tales of pizza

Hey all I just finished a four day tour of Napoli (Naples) and the surrounding areas. Let me start with this: Naples is loud, filthy, chaotic, it has trashed piled up in the alleys and sidewalks, and there is a strong mafia presence (as I learned from some locals). That being said the place does have a ton of character and does warrant a visit. The best thing going for the city is pizza. It was created there. I ate five over the four days there. By far my favorite was the Antica Pizzeria Da Michelle which was established in 1870!!  Their menu has two pizzas on it: margherita or marinara. The place has only five tables and constantly has a line out the door. It was incredible. I spent some time hanging out with the Italian hosts of the hostel that I stayed in. It was ver interesting to get their perspective on the place. I also got a chance to check out the Archeology Musem. Highly recommended. It is full of sculptures from the 1st and 2nd century AD.

From Napoli I made a day trip to Pompeii. The condition of the ruins there is astonishing. The city had a functioning water/waste collecting and filtration system, bakeries, fast food restaurants among other modern conveniences. The crazy thing though is that Vesuvius erupted in 75AD and they were that far along! I recommend checking it out for yourself.

My last day in Napoli, I took a day trip Procida. Procida is a small fishing island adjacent to the island of Capri. It was a great trip. The island is not touristy in the least bit, and it was a good opportunity to see the way people lived. 

About the pictures.....I have been in an internet cafe on a piece of junk pc that still has a floppy drive in it. It crashes every time I upload a picture. I will post some good ones once I can find an adequate pc. I was able to get one up. Below is the view of Naples from a castle on a hill above the city.

I am in Rome right now and about to head out to the Colliseum. Ciao for now!

1 comment:

  1. I would love have a recipe for Naples pizza!
    That is a great pic, and I can't wait to see the rest. It was great talking to you!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete